Combining the positions of anti-autism authors, I am apparently a nuclear fission bomb. Salon writer Marie Myung-Ok Lee states that autism is “a public health emergency, no less deadly and devastating than Ebola.”
NBC quotes autistic professor Stephen M. Shore as saying that he “was hit with the autism bomb at 18 months old.”
Finally, NBC web commenter I’m stil [sic] drunk at 6 am!!!!! claims that an autistic child was the cause of a spousal murder-suicide, and then asks “why take two lives when you could have just taken .5?”
If we treat these statements as fact, they indicate that autism is deadly and devastating, a bomb, and has a half-life.
I think that the conclusion is clear: autism is a nuclear bomb. Clearly, the Autistic Self-Advocacy Network should take advantage of this, as well as their autistic-run DC location, during the next public policy debate.
I read and summarized these comments, so you don’t have to. I did this because humor has become one of my default responses in these sorts of situations. (I’ve even made jokes while evacuating buildings.)
3 comment types that have been excluded from this summary due to overly high prevalence: “Walk in the perpetrator’s shoes, having an autistic child is so haaaard,” “Murder is wrong, don’t murder autistic people, poor kid,” and all replies to comments.
- Autistic kids are 0.5 of a life. (I think this illustrates why the disability/quality-adjusted life year is a bad idea in practice.)
- This woman is a total scumbag for [description of crimes as phrased using feminist/social justice rhetoric], so feminists shouldn’t defend her just because she’s female. (I’ll be sure to tell all the feminists out there defending this woman, who *definitely* exist and are not fake, that they are hypocrites at the next Global Feminist Conspiracy meeting.)
- I will mock the murder victim in an anti-Republican political joke. How could this possibly make Democrats look bad in any way?
- Somehow, the perpetrator being fat caused this problem, because fat is somehow magically the root of all evil.
- I will defend the honor of a victim of a mental-disability motivated hate crime by claiming the mother is mentally ill, because I am not at all hypocritical!
- I predict that the perpetrator will go free, because the justice system is biased against men. This proves my argument that the justice system is biased against men.
- I will use this to advocate for my not-particularly-related antiwar opinions, even though it’s hard to actually draw any connections between war and ableist hate crimes, while at least using polite phrasing.
- People show support for this murderer because they are misandrist, and not because they are ableist.
- She should have killed an adult male, because then she would have gotten away with it, because misandry.
- Everyone accused of a crime should be killed even before a trial, because otherwise the government has to pay for basic needs of alleged criminals, like food, shelter, and public defenders. Zero tolerance for violent crime! Also, the perpetrator is fat.
- The perpetrator will walk free, because liberals are terrible people.
- It’s her fault, she didn’t use a (seemingly yet-to-be-invented) prenatal test for autism and then abort.
- [sarcastic conservative] If it’s okay to abort a fetus, why not murder a 6-year-old?
Comments made before the child’s diagnostic status became clear:
- Brutally murder her for her brutal murder of her child, because vengeance and justice are one and the same.